Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Wednesday, March 22, 2006

Da Vinci Code Mania continues

I just watched the new Da Vinci Code trailer(there's a link to it in the title above)and have to say,yes it looks great and no,I probaly won't see the movie. Having Ian Mckellan in the cast is a nice incentive but would much rather wait to see him in X Men 3. The more I see of Tom Hanks here,the more this whole movie looks like the Masterpiece Theater version of an Indiana Jones movie. I'm sure DVC will do well at the box office,without my ten bucks added to the coffer.

Also,the big Dan Brown trial has finished up over in the UK,with everyone waiting for the verdict which should be given in a few weeks. In case you haven't heard,Dan Brown and his Brit publishers are being sued by the co-authors of the non fiction book,Holy Blood & Holy Grail, for copyright infringment. It's been no secret that HB&HG was one of the research sources used in the writing of the book(Holy Blood & Holy Grail has had a nice reprint run due to this connection) and this case has become quite a hoop-de-do in publishing circles.

This all sounds like a tempest in a teapot,in my opinion. Many of these cases are legit but the timing of this lawsuit is fishy. Quite a coincidence that just a few months before the film version is to be released worldwide and sure to rake in the bucks,that these fellas decided to fight for their rights. Yeah,okay....and Issac Hayes' decision to leave South Park had nothing to do with his membership in the "Church" of Scientology(Tonight's season premiere of South Park focues on Chef so I have to see it-fortunately,F/X shows "Black.White" at 10 and 11 so I can have the best of both worlds). Many are concerned that a guilty verdict will block the release of the movie but I wouldn't worry-there'll be some of kind of backroom deal made if the case doesn't go a certain way,mark my words.

Yesterday,Javier Sierra's The Secret Supper hit the bookstores and it's definately worth a read. It may not be as action packed as DVC but TSS gives you a pretty good historical mystery to mull over. I have to get cracking on Kate Mosse's Labyrinth which has a classic "two women in different time periods connected by mysterious object from the past" theme(have to admit that when I first looked over the book,I was strongly reminded of the Lana/Isobel storyline from last year's Smallville-not a turn-off to me at all). It's good to have a strong female viewpoint emerge in this genre and hope that we all get some good reads out of this interest that Dan Brown has sparked up.

4 comments:

AtriaBooks said...

Great tip. I'm glad I picked up Secret Supper. Thanks!

lady t said...

You're welcome there,Doc. Hope you like it as much as I did.

Anonymous said...

Is it just me, or does Tom Hanks have a mullet in this flick?

lady t said...

Hanks' hair reminds of that Tim Robbins' character from High Fidelity-the standard"too damn old for hippie hair" look.