Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Open Letter to J.K. Rowling

Dear Ms. Rowling,

First,congrats to you on getting an honorary Doctorate of Laws from the University of Edinburgh;your contributions to MS research is a wonderful example of a powerful person using his/her resources to help others. Not surpising to see such kindness from the creator of Harry Potter(please forgive my ham-handed segue)which leads me to my concerns about what's to come in Book seven of the series.

I don't have to tell you what your books have done for readers of all ages(and I do not consider adults to be interlopers in the Harry Potter world but some of the fan fiction is disturbing,especially about the young actors who appear in the films;what ever happened to secret handwritten diaries that were locked away from public view?)or your impact on the genre of fantasy. As one of your grown-up readers(in physical age,anyway),I fully understand the need to shake up plotlines dramatically. For your younger readers,this is a good way to introduce them to truly expect the unexpected and I'm not in favor of spoonfeeding kids cozy little lumps of watered down themes to keep overcautious parents happy.


I am worried about some of your hints about Harry's fate,especially since you've set up the premise that if Voldemort dies,so may Harry. I fully respect your right as the author to do whatever you feel is right for your characters and totally get that you may want to knock off young Mr. Potter for his own good,so that you and your heirs can avoid legal battles over unauthorized sequels,like the ones brewing about for Peter Pan(which really isn't in the public domain). Also,that you probaly want to move on as a writer,without the shadow of Harry and friends looming over you. That's fine but I do hope that what I think you intend to do is what will happen.

Many of your fans know that you're a fan of The Chronicles of Narnia(I've only read The Lion,The Witch and The Wardrobe and The Magician's Nephew myself)and if they're on my same train of thought,they might suspect that you're prepared to pull an Aslan.After all,you did say that there is a character that you didn't expect to live that does in the new book while two others bit the dust(please spare the Weaseleys if you can but if you do knock one off,make it Percy-he's a total wanker). It wouldn't be considered a cheat,except by Misery laden folks who have nothing better to do that yell"he didn't get out of the cockadoodie cauldron!",since it's a strong tenet of western mythos that sacrificing your life for the sake of others and/or an innocent gets you another go-around on the terra firma.

It may be tempting to take Harry out of the picture permenantly but it's way too harsh and the backlash would be terrifying. You remember what happened when Arthur Conan Doyle killed off Sherlock Holmes-his own mother got mad at him for that! You know all about mom power,I don't have to tell you. I'm not asking you to do it for the kids(I so hate it when people use that line) but for all of your readers,not only now but in the future. I would hate to see upcoming generations of eager book fiends like myself being discouraged from enjoying the glorious world of words you've given to literature by those Draco types who would happily sneer and say"I don't know you'd bother with those Potter books-he winds up dead at the end of them!"

This may be yet another tempest in a teapot but with the way things are going in the world today,any port in a storm will be cherished and many will gladly fight to protect it from interlopers. Regardless,I'll be amongst the crowd of anxious book lovers when Book Seven hits booksellers everywhere and no matter how it turns out,I still thank you for giving Harry Potter to us.

Best wishes,

Lady T(who also hopes that you don't resurrect Harry directly from the grave-that was cool for Buffy Summers but perhaps a tad much for our Mr. Potter.)

4 comments:

PJS said...

This post is SO Kathy Bates in "Misery".

But, not in a bad way.

;0)

lady t said...

Well,I'm glad to hear that,Mister Man:D!

Brian said...

"Either must die at the hand of the other for neither can live while the other survives."

I've been debating for some time whether or not this means that if one dies, both die. I dunno. Rowling insists that the prophecy has been worded very specifically. And maybe that's just what she's getting at.

I don't think she's got the cajones to kill Harry off. That's just my opinion

lady t said...

From your lips to Rowling's ears,Brian-I certainly hope you're right about that*crosses fingers*