Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Love Songs...nothing but love songs!

With Valentine's Day just around the bend, I thought it would be fun to put together a few lists of LRG recommended V-Day pop culture romantic picks. These are suggestions not neccessarily for a night of le amour(if I'm spelling that right,all my french lessons were courtesy of Pepe Le Pew),these could do just fine for staying in and eating a whole box of chocolates in your jammies.


Since the old cliche of "Music is the food of love" still holds strong,let's crank up the jukebox to get some appropiate theme songs for the occasion:

GYM CLASS HEROES/"CUPID'S CHOKEHOLD"

I've never listened to this band before(love the name,btw)but this new song of theirs is all over the place. It's a catchy little number about the bliss of new found love. There are two versions of this video but this is the one that I first saw on Fuse and the dancing cupids are too cute for words:



EWAN MCGREGOR & NICOLE KIDMAN/"COME WHAT MAY"

If it was possible to wear out a CD,my copy of the Moulin Rouge soundtrack took a serious beating with the multiple times that I played this song. Why it didn't win Best Song at the Oscars that year is a mystery to me:



AMBER BENSON/"UNDER YOUR SPELL"

One of the highlights of the musical BTVS episode "Once more,with feeling" is Amber Benson's Tara declaring her devotion to Alyson Hannigan's Willow. AH sang very little herself in OMWF(she begged Joss Whedon to have her not sing more than needed). AB did have a CD of this tune,plus a couple of other songs,available with a special edition Tara figure for sale online to raise money for a film project. It's shame that someone hasn't signed her up for a recording contract,her pipes are amazing:



JAMES MARSTERS/ "REST IN PEACE"

I couldn't think about OMWF and not mention James Marsters as Spike doing his Billy Idol ballad bit here. Marsters has a band called Ghost of the Robot and an album entitled "Mad Brilliant". Let me tell you,the man can sing. I may be a besotted little fangirl but I know good music when I hear it:



NO DOUBT/"EX-GIRLFRIEND"

Here's a dose of red hot break-up blues pepper to clense your palate of sugary songs. The quiet fury in Gwen's tone as she lashes out in sultry style is like the porridge that Goldilocks chose:



BANGLES/"ETERNAL FLAME"

The best Susanna Hoffs vocal,ever. I so wanted to be her once upon a time. This is one of my favorite Bangles tunes,right after their cover of "Hazy Shade of Winter":



Well,that's all for now. Please feel free to list some of your favorite love,or anti-love,songs. Share the love,people,share the love!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SO agree with you about the Bangles' "Eternal Flame." Haven't heard that in a long time. Thanks!