Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Some party tunes for your St. Patrick's Day pubcrawl



Since I am Irish(on both sides of my family)every day of the year and have no taste for alcohol,I can honestly admit that a long standing tradition of St. Patrick's Day is to go out and celebrate with a beer or two.

While I don't advocate getting so wasted that you become a danger to yourself and others,I'm not about to get all Carrie Nation on anyone either. As long you're of legal age and have a designated driver on hand,having a few drinks today is not the worst thing that you can do. Just don't overdo it,okay?

As a public service to those about to party hearty,here are a few pumped up Irish themed songs to have a bar room singalong to. Even those like me who will be sitting on the sober sidelines with a pitcher of iced tea that's not from Long Island can rock out as well.

TUBTHUMPING: This one hit wonder from Chumbawamba is a modern day classic,with it's insistent lively chorus and tonal ranges from high to low,much like a night of drinking I would imagine. My favorite bit is the girl with somber glasses on that mellowly chimes in with "pissing the night away" every so often. She's just so oddly perfect:



JUMP AROUND: The main reason that I dig this song is that it always reminds me of Colin Farrell as Bullseye in Daredevil. This House of Pain ditty plays in the background of his first scene,where he shows off his impressive yet evil throwing skills. A very apt choice for a villain's intro:



COME ON,EILEEN:It wouldn't be a great St. Pat's songfest without a pleading love song ,now would it? The homespun charm of this video,with the band members and their supporting players roaming around some very real looking city streets clad in overalls,always delights me:



MUSTANG SALLY: Yes,this is an American song but when it was sung by The Commitments as part of the movie soundtrack back in 1991,it's as Irish as the Blarney Stone. No doubt this film has hit many a Netflix queue lately,to have in time for today,but the story about these hopeful working class kids and their band is fine fodder for thought anytime:



DANNY BOY: No salute to Irish bar music would be complete without this time honored ditty. While some may seek some silly solace in the Leprechaun Rap,I think that this Muppet Show performance is much sweeter and proves than music is truly the universal language. Happy St. Patrick's Day,folks!:

1 comment:

Ladytink_534 said...

What no Flogging Molly?! Lol, I'm not much of a drinker but I will occasionally (just not yesterday). Hope you had a great St. Patrick's Day!!!