Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Booking some reading related plans for this season

With the fine fall weather starting to come in, making literary plans seem about right, especially for this blog. Don't worry, I'll still be checking in on other pop culture phenomena out there but for my fellow book addicts, here's a preview of some of the bookish posts coming soon to LRG:

FEARFUL PAGE TURNER:

I've signed up for Seasons of Reading's  Fright Fall Read-A-Thon, which takes place between September 29-Oct 5. The requirements are pretty simple, you just have to read one scary book( from the horror and/or mystery genre) and talk about it online-see the full set of guidelines here.

The book I've chosen for Fright Fall is Stephen King's Christine. It's been on my mind since my post regarding Encore's SK film fest this month and since I will be watching that movie again,why not re-read the novel as well?

I first read Christine when the film came out in 1983 and have read it at least twice but it's been several years between reads now. Never hurts to pop the hood on a horror favorite and yes, I'll be doing a book and film comparison there.

There's still time to sign up for Fright Fall and it should be fun to see what everyone else will be shuddering over. In the mean time, I'll be revving up for Christine, with a cautious eye towards the brakes on this "bad to the bone" ride:


Banned Books Week is also on the horizon, starting September 21 and ending on the 27th. The official theme this year is a focus on graphic novels but I may seek out a different focal point for my post.

Graphic novels have been heavily targeted recently, with such titles as Persepolis, Watchmen and Fun Home challenged by "concerned" folk eager to protect the children. Hey, I'm all for age appropriate reading recommendations but not done unilaterally, especially by people who more than likely haven't even read the material in question.

The freedom to read is important and I'm glad that social media has taken to this challenge over the years with great projects like the Virtual Read Aloud and other memes to promote the cause. My two cents on the matter isn't much but I do like to speak my piece for the right to read in this powerful play that goes on, my way of contributing a verse:




Recently, I started reading The Cuckoo's Calling by Robert Galbraith(aka J.K. Rowling) and found myself so enthralled with it that I splurged on it's hardcover sequel The Silkworm. I honestly wasn't sure that I would get into it, having tried to read The Casual Vacancy and putting it aside.

However, Rowling's knack for keen character development and her eye for detail are well suited to detective drama such as this. Not to mention the nifty names for her book people and not just Comoran Strike, the private investigator/ leading man here.


Lula Landry, Guy Some and Tansi Bestigui are just a few of the interesting names scattered across the casting list for the players in  the first book that looks into the questionable death of a supermodel.

 No doubt there will be plenty of amusing monikers for the next Comoran Strike adventure as he checks out the disappearance of a writer. I am happy to find that J.K. Rowling's writing is just as engaging for this genre as it was for the Harry Potter series.  It gives me hope that when I do pick up The Casual Vacancy again, it'll be an easier read and a welcome delight the second time around.

  I intend to do a double review of both titles in this series and yes, I may be late to the game on this but better late than never as they say:




As to my already scheduled fall reading, I have finished one book so far and should be starting another one very soon. So many books,sigh....

I do wish everyone happy page turning and hope that you tune in for some of my literary adventures, in between binge watching Gilmore Girls on Netflix there. I won't be partaking in that, due to having the whole series on DVD, but pleased as punch for all of you happy lit fans out there diving into your own Stars Hollow-a-thon with plenty of coffee and room in your bookbag for all of Rory's reads:






3 comments:

Thaddeus said...

I am almost jealous - really close - at how many books you manage to read. Honestly, I kind of prefer when I have longer commutes to work, as that's when I get in the bulk of my literature...

Mom's Small Victories said...

I am joining FrightFall as well though I've picked a tamer Stephen King for my read. Good luck, I've been wanting to read the Galbraith novels too.

Here are my goals: http://momssmallvictories.com/october-readathon-goals-mystery-magic-murder/

lady t said...

Thanks,Thaddeus but don't envy me, please! My reading habits are an addiction which thankfully there is no cure(other than a stack of books, of course).

Hi,Mom's Small Victories,happy to be joining you in Fright Fall! I did finish The Cuckoo's Calling and it was great(saving The Silkworm for a little later this season)-hope you like it,too.