Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Tuesday, May 05, 2015

Some pop culture finds from my local rummage sale

Every autumn and spring, the church across the street from my home has a rummage sale and it's become a tradition for me and mine to do a little shopping there.

After all, it's incredibly convenient, the prices are usually right and the added element of mystery makes it all the more enticing. Like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates, you never know what you'll get and most times, I find some real pop culture gems.

For example, I was lucky to snap up a hardcover edition of The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty,which has been on the bestseller lists for so long that it's only just now arriving in paperback(my copy still had the B&N discount sticker on the cover).

The plot of the story has three women pondering over the mysteries of the men in their lives, as Cecilia discovers a letter from her deceased husband revealing a shocking surprise, Tess is told by her husband that he's leaving her for Felicity, her own cousin and best friend, and Rachel is haunted by the notion that one of the teachers she works with may be the man who murdered her daughter.

I've heard a lot of good word of mouth about this book and am eager to give it a shot, probably by this summer. Liane Moriarty is an Australian author who is just starting to become well known over here,so I think I'll be happy to make her literary acquaintance:


I tried not to buy too many books(which is as hard as not buying too comic books at a convention for a diehard geek) but I do feel justified in getting a copy of The Kite Runner, as I've never read it or even seen the movie.

The Kite Runner is one of those "everyone's reading it" books that takes me some time after the buzz dies down to consider checking out for myself. Khaled Hosseini has had a couple of novels out since this one made it's mark back in 2003 and while the subject matter is pretty grim, there seems to be an element of hope and perseverance in his work that makes it page turn worthy.

So, I'll give it a chance and maybe watch the film adaptation at some point. This sounds more suited to fall reading to me, not that I can't read any good book at any time but with the volume of my TBR piles, some form of organization is necessary:



Speaking of movies, I only bought two DVDs, one of which was Falling Down, the 1993 thriller starring Michael Douglas as a man who becomes to be known as "D-Fens".

His downward spiral in life causes himself to go up the socioeconomic ladder to share his misery with the world,picking up weapons along the way. On his trail is an about to be retired police man(Robert Duvall) whose own personal disillusionment with his status quo is a real plus in tracking D-Fens down.

What's truly scary about this movie is just how well it holds up. Many of the  first world problems and middle class complaints expressed by Douglas' character are still being heard today and sad enough, truly believed in. If you want to know why certain people act and think the way they do, this movie is one hell of an eye-opener into that narrow minded world view:



My sister went over to the sale much later than I did(I was one of the early shoppers),especially after I came back from my first run to let her know that there were stacks of records available for purchase.

She has a small vinyl collection,plus eclectic tastes, but my sis did like that I picked up a couple of Carpenters albums for her. First come, first served after all and I didn't want her to miss on these pieces of 70s nostalgia.

 One of them was their 1971 self titled release that has the classic tune"Rainy Days and Mondays" on it's playlist along with the envelope cover that's made this record known as "the tan album.


The other album is Close To You, with the title song and "We've Only Just Begun" amongst the other tracks that include a cover of The Beatles' "Help".

 Help is what poor Karen Carpenter really needed for her physical and emotional issues that lead to a far too early death. Yet her music is still with us and that legacy ought to be appreciated for both her talents and her personal battles.

I still have an 8 track cassette of The Carpenters' Greatest Hits, which I listened to again and again as a kid, admiring the smooth melody of her voice. Since I no longer possess a player for that tape, I'm happy that my sister can get to experience the simple joys of Karen Carpenter's tender tunes:



Mind you, not every outing at this or any other rummage sale can unearth those fabulous finds that suit your pop culture needs yet it's so nice when a trip like this does just that. I don't mind getting things for retail price either but finding a bargain makes it twice as nice.

I also don't think it's terrible to have old school items from a mass produced source in most cases. To me, it's better to be honest about where you got that neat piece of furniture or cool toy than pretend that you found it at a flea market or secret hideaway in order to please the sensibilities of others.

Buying that perfect thing should be something to enjoy, not make elaborate ruses about, in my opinion, even if Phoebe Buffay would hate me at first(until she wanted to get it for herself, that is):


No comments: