Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Friday, December 07, 2007

Grammy,Grammy,who's gonna win a Grammy? My money's on the Winehouse



The Grammy nominations were announced this week,with the show set for February 10 of 2008,and while I am far from being the most savvy person to consult on music,I must have my share of the conversation.

Since my current music knowledge and taste are rather scatter shot,I thought it would be best to focus on a few of the big time contenders here and gauge their chances of winning. These are pretty much my best guess-don't considering using my picks as the basis of a gambling wager(especially if there's money involved-after all,I only recognized one name in the Best New Artist category,keep in mind).

RIHANNA AND HER MAGIC UMBRELLA

I wasn't too familiar with this song until I saw Rihanna at the MTV VMAs,but it is damn catchy and it sounds like she actually knows how to sing. Rihanna is up for Record of the Year and Song of the Year,so I think she's bound to get one or the other,maybe even both. I have to admit that this song came to my mind recently while watching Nip/Tuck,as Christian told an amorous older lady in a bar"You better get an umbrella,because they're predicting thunderstorms":



WILL THE ACADEMY SAY TO AMY "NO,NO,NO"?

Amy Winehouse is up for six awards,including Best New Artist(which is better known as the Kiss of Death)and Album of the Year. Yes, we all know what a disaster zone her personal life is but the woman can sing her soused heart out! I'm not a "oh,artists need booze/drugs/unprotected sex,etc,to help them create" believer and while I hope that Amy gets her act together before fate decides to play catch up with her,she should still win something for the amazing talent she possesses:



FUNNY TUNES OF THE CONCHORDS

Flight of the Conchords is one of biggest comedy hit shows on HBO right now(my sister is a huge fan)and it's not that shocking to see their album Distant Future up for Best Comedy Album but I do hope that they actually win. Most of the other nominees are either safe(Harry Shearer,Stephen Wright) or only shocking if you've never watched Comedy Central or a network sitcom before(George Lopez,Lisa Lampanelli). Come on guys,give it to the most beautiful girl in the room!:



OH,WHAT THIS SONG DOES TO MOODY YOUNG LOVERS

The Plain White T's have cornered the market on teen/young adult angst with "Hey there Delilah",which I wound up hearing snippets of everytime ABC Family played a commerical for their college themed drama Greek. This mournful little ditty has scored the group a couple of noms,the big one being for Song of the Year. Nothing against sad love songs but this sucker sounds more gooier than a marshmallow drenched in chocolate syrup on the hood of a car parked on asphalt in the middle of an August heatwave in Georgia(or somewhere else southern),that's all I'm saying. It does grow on you,I will admit that:




NO,KAYNE,WE'RE NOT FORGETTING ABOUT YOU

Kayne West has the most Grammy noms this year,which means that he'll most likely get one and will not have an excuse to throw a hissy fit,as he has been wont to do at most award shows. My condolences to him on his mother's untimely passing and one good thing I will say about his music is that it does provide a good background beat for action sequences,like this fanmade tribute to Law & Order:SVU:



ARE YOU SERIOUS?!

In the "What the hell?!" category, R. Kelly's Trapped in the Closet,chapters 13-22 is a contender for Best Long Form Video. Haven't we had enough of this insanity? Why are you guys encouraging him with this wackiness? You know,when something's so bad that it's a perfect go-to joke for most of a South Park episode,that should be a sign unto you,nominating committee!:



EVERYTHING WILL BE ALRIGHT IF ALICIA GETS HER PROPS

Finally,I'm happy to report that Alicia Keys has snagged a few noms for her current hit song,"No One" such as Best R&B Female Vocal Performance and Best R&B Song. While I don't see why she couldn't been given a couple of nods in the Pop section(you're telling me Fergie is better than Alicia Keys?),I'm rooting for her to take one home:

No comments: