Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Tuesday, March 14, 2017

Taking literary shelter from the storm

Since I live within the path of the snowstorm named Stella, I went out more than once yesterday to stock up on the necessary provisions.

The important stuff,of course-milk,bread,snacks and a stack of library books. The latter was of immediate concern, as I had a return to make and a book on hold to be picked up.

That must-have read is Lillian Boxfish Takes A Walk by Kathleen Rooney, a novel with a very NYC state of mind to it. On New Year's Eve of 1984, Lillian is bound and determined to walk all the way to a party, not an easy task considering her age(85) and the rough nature of modern Manhattan from when she started her career in advertising during the 1930s.

As she makes her way around town, encountering all sorts of folks and possibly perilous situations, Lillian thinks over the choices she's made in life and how well they went. Her night journey turns into a walk through the past not only for herself but for Manhattan.

The book is said to be inspired by real life ad-woman Margaret Fishbeck and based on the reviews I've read and heard, this story is more than an apt tribute to her. Me personally, I love reading about feisty females,especially the New York City type who never let the topsy-turvy nature of life get them down:




Speaking of feisty females, I was delightfully surprised to find that,in addition to Lillian Boxfish, another book that I had placed on hold was available for me to take home.

Talking as Fast as I Can is a set of autobiographical essays by actress Lauren Graham,aka Lorelai Gilmore. She not only chronicles the making of Gilmore Girls(both the original series and the revival) but talks about her early days in acting, dealing with Hollywood and gently mocking trends.

My nonfiction reading has been on the slow side lately, so I started this book last night,hoping to jump start that section of my TBR. Well, it's working out splendidly as Graham's writing style is as quick paced and clever as the TV role she's best known for. I haven't read her novel Someday, Someday Maybe but I think I should, as clearly her literary muse is not clad in monkey monkey underpants(watch the following clip for clarification):




Before leaving the library, I took one last look over the shelves to see what else would tide me over and wound up adding a book that I've been meaning to get to for quite some time.

Anne Tyler's A Spool of Blue Thread tells the story of a family, the Whitshanks, who have been together in good times and bad for at least three generations. As their parents Abby and Red are getting on in years, conflicted siblings Amanda,Jeannie,Stem and Denny have to decide what to do about the house, along with the family business.

While the kids are working that out, Abby often flashes back to the past, remembering the days when she first fell in love as well as other Whitshank family stories. Anne Tyler is one of those writers that I've read on and off for years, enjoying her warmly written brand of story telling when I do pick up one of her works. Such readable radiance is something I really need to embrace the coming of spring:


And looking forward to spring I am, even while appreciating what is hopefully the last blast of winter. Being snowbound may not be ideal but while the flakes are flying, let's make the best of things with a good book and a warm drink or two. Remember, snow days aren't just for kids, you know!:


No comments: