Pop Culture Princess

Pop Culture Princess
especially welcome to extensive readers

Wednesday, September 09, 2009

The MTV Music Video Awards still make plenty of noise and fury but does it signify anything?



Perhaps it's my advancing years or lack of immersion in the realm of current music lately,but the MTV Music Video Awards just don't interest me the way they used to. There was a time when I looked forward to the show and even had a rooting interest in seeing certain singers win that Moonman. Those days seem to be long gone.



It could be that many of the musicians I once admired have had their day in the sun and are now relegated to lite FM purgatory or like Madonna,really haven't improved with age as much as they think they have.



Some of the nominated videos amaze me with the lack of irony or self awareness. For one,Britney Spears and her "Womanizer" song ,which is supposed to be scolding a man for playing the field yet Britney presents herself as a pushy sex object throughout the entire video. Maybe in her mind,she sees it as a woman empowering statement but it just makes everyone else wonder if she understands what the title of this tawdry tune means(a dictionary would be helpful here,I think):




Also not impressed with Emeniem's "We Made You"-he was once the champ when it came to slick pop culture parodies that included his own flaws as punch lines.However,the singles off of his last album don't pack the same punch,in my opinion. There's more "going thru the motions" than real inspiration on display:






Lady GaGa,on the other hand,is all inspiration. She's a true original,with plenty of past offbeat musical influences being evident in her style that make her voice and unique charisma stand out on their own merits and not be overwhelmed by them. Poker Face is such a cool song that even a former American Idol was able to do an unofficial cover version and bring some of his own artistry to it as well,a good sign indeed:




I find it amusing that Drake has become such a major player on the music scene these days. I used to watch him on Degrassi:The Next Generation as Jimmy,whose dreams of playing professional basketball were derailed by a school shooting that landed him in a wheelchair. Perhaps the director of his "Best I Ever Had" video,which is up for Best New Artist, is a Degrassi fan(Kayne West has to have a hobby other than throwing hissy fits in public):






Still,the MTV Music Awards just don't seem to have the same spark. It doesn't help matters much that Russell Brand is hosting again(maybe it's a nod to the green movement by recycling the host,altho there are better ones out there to recruit). If the kids from Twilight show up,that might boost the ratings.

While I do hope Decode's "Paramore" does do well here(it's up for Best Rock Video),even with the promise of new footage from New Moon,I won't be missing the season finale of True Blood for any of this. Perhaps that is for the best. Let the music play for those who really appreciate it and let casual connoisseurs of these audio delights go off to explore other pop culture niches that suit our fancy.

Good luck to the nominees and with any luck,there will be something to talk about from this year's VMAs the next day. As for me,I'm keeping my fingers crossed for Decode to get an Oscar nomination for Best Song-hey,stranger things have happened,folks!:


1 comment:

Ladytink_534 said...

I used to love the MTV awards too and now I can't stand to watch them. They try to hard to be funny and come off as stupid to me. Also, I really don't care for a majority of the singers that win at that thing nowadays. There are tons of great singers don't get me wrong, I just don't really care for many of the "popular" ones.

Love Daughtry's version of Poker Face and Decode's song :)